Equity Diversity & Inclusion at UNCG: diversity-inclusion.uncg.edu
Diversity and Inclusive Excellence
- Diversity and Inclusive Excellence, Association of American Colleges and Universities.
Reviews AACU initiatives and publications that focus on the advancement of diversity and equity in higher education, and the best educational practices for an increasingly diverse population.
- Toward a Model of Inclusive Excellence and Change in Post-secondary Institutions,
D. A. Williams, J. Berger, & S. McClendon, ACCU (2005). Presents a framework for comprehensive organizational change to achieve Inclusive Excellence, and a re-framing of perspectives on diversity and quality.
- Full Participation: Building the Architecture for Diversity and Public Engagement in Higher Education
Sturm, S., Eatman, T., Saltmarsh, J., & Bush, A. (2011). Full participation: Building the architecture for diversity and public engagement in higher education (White paper). Columbia University Law School: Center for Institutional and Social Change.
- Advancing Workplace Equity in Higher Education.
Sturm, Susan P., The architecture of inclusion: Advancing workplace equity in higher education. Harvard Journal of Law & Gender, Vol. 29, No. 2, June 2006; Columbia Public Law Research Paper No. 06-114. This paper advances a framework and a methodology for building inclusive institutions within higher education and sustaining these practices. Uses NSF ADVANCE as a case study.
- Campus Climate for Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender People: A National Perspective.
National LGBTA Task Force, a national study of faculty, students, staff, and administrators perspectives on “their personal campus experiences as members of the GLBT community, their perception of the climate for GLBT members of the academic community, and their perceptions of institutional actions, including administrative policies and academic initiatives regarding GLBT issues and concerns on campus.”
Inclusive Teaching and Pedagogy
- Feminist Pedagogy.
Overview of what is feminist pedagogy, and includes citations for application in varied disciplines, Gender and Education Association.
- Creating Inclusive College Classrooms.
Center for Teaching and Learning, University of Michigan.
- Is Diversity Relevant to What I Teach?
Includes short examples from Biology, Statistics, Math, Business, Communications, and Engineering about integrating issues related to diversity, Diversity Digest.
- Cultural Competency for Social Justice.
Blog post (Diane Goodman), ACPA Commission of Social Justice Educations.
- Interrupting Heteronormativity.
Farrell, Kathleen; Gupta, Nisha; and Queen, Mary, “Interrupting Heteronormativity: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pedagogy and Responsible Teaching at Syracuse University” (2004). Book 14.
- Interfaith Cooperation in American Higher Education: Recommendations, Best Practices, and Case Studies.
Based on sessions initiated by the White House Office for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships to focus on interfaith cooperation and higher education (2010).
Faculty Diversity: Recruitment and Development
- Handbook for Faculty Searches and Hiring.
University of Michigan, ADVANCE Program
- Best Practices for Diversity and Inclusiveness in Faculty Hiring
UNCG College of Arts & Sciences Diversity Initiatives
- Resources of Faculty Diversity, Recruitment, and Retention. University of Washington.
References for a range of publications with attention to race/ethnicity, gender, and sexuality.
- Strategies for Successfully Recruiting Minority Faculty. Virgina Commonwealth University.
Strategies begin with preparation before the search, developing position announcements, and understanding what attracts candidates to your position.
- Diversity and Affirmative Action. American Association of University Professors.
Position and policy papers, and legal briefs on issues related to diversity and Affirmative Action.
- Accommodating Faculty with Disabilities.
American Association of University Professors report on accommodating disabilities among faculty members.
- Disabilities and Accommodations, Higher Education Compliance Alliance.
Includes several resources regarding policy and regulations as well as other resources for policy compliance and inclusion, and links to publications.
- Disability.gov is the federal government website for people with disabilities, their families, friends and the organizations that serve them.
- Self-Assessments. National Center for Cultural Competence,
George Washington University. A compilation of links to on-line self-assessment tools with a focus on cultural competences and service delivery with children, youth, and families; and educational settings and health and health disparities.
- Assessing Diversity Courses: Tips and Tools.
Jack Meacham, Diversity Digest.
- Diversity Assessment, Accountability, and Action.
Sylvia Hurtado and Rona Halualani, American Association of Colleges and Universities.
- Implicit Association Test.
The Implicit Association Test (IAT) measures attitudes and beliefs that people may be unwilling or unable to report. The IAT may be especially interesting if it shows that you have an implicit attitude that you did not know about. For example, you may believe that women and men should be equally associated with science, but your automatic associations could show that you (like many others) associate men with science more than you associate women with science.